ANARCHY WRESTLING ORGANIZATION

REST IN ANARCHY

HomeEntertainmentCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
EXTREME ANSWERS WRESTLING HAS MOVED TO FORUMOTION! JOIN TODAY!
CLICK HERE TO GO TO EAW FORUM!

Share | 

A 25 year old retrospective: Who got me into Professional Wrestling?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Riddick Mercer
Certified Anarchist
Certified Anarchist

Pointz : 3729
Thanks Hit : 4

PostA 25 year old retrospective: Who got me into Professional Wrestling?

I sit here on the eve of my 25th Birthday, and for some reason I feel the urge to write. Is this a blog? Eh.. it's more of a collection of random thoughts..

I've always been an open book in every facet of my life, more so in the past year than any other. Whether you're a member of my family, a friend, a wrestling fan, or any of the above.. I view you all in the same light. I try to treat each and every single one of you guys the same way I'd like to be treated. I mean.. we're all just people. Easy enough, right?

I always get asked the question "What made you get into professional wrestling?".. my answer 9/10 times are Shawn Michaels, and the Cruiserweights in WCW. I never get asked the question of "Who made you get into professional wrestling?" I feel that that question has an even better answer.

The answer to that question is a boy by the name of Eddie.

Growing up I didn't have many friends, I didn't go to any parties, and the majority of most of my days were spent pretending to be Batman, a Ninja Turtle, or a Power Ranger. I met Eddie when I was around 6 or 7.. his family just moved in next door. He was around 13 or 14 but looked MY age. You see, Eddie, unfortunately was born with a disability. I'm not going to get into the details of said disability, or the logistics behind it because quite frankly.. that didn't matter to me. It still doesn't. For many years, handicap, or no handicap.. Eddie was my best friend, and quite frankly.. one of my only friends.

Where as I was a big Power Ranger fan.. Eddie on the other hand LOVED professional wrestling. Whenever we'd be watching television, or at the store.. I'd be the kid getting the Power Ranger toys, and he'd ALWAYS get a wrestling action figure. I didn't understand it.. until one day.. I actually sat down and watched it with him. The athleticism, the emotion, the passion.. I got it.. and I immediately fell in love with it.

I was hooked.

Professional Wrestling was everything I ever wanted. Unfortunately.. Eddie or "Uno Pac" as he affectionately chose as his wrestling name went on a staggering 0-246 losing streak to "JAG" (that was me.. I don't job, bro). He did go over on the blue stuffed elephant and Road Warrior Hawk wrestle buddy a few times though!

As we got older, we continued to do everything together. I was HBK and he was Diesel.. until he became Savio Vega, but.. I digress. Through the countless surgeries, and doctors appointment he had to go through, I was always there.. and so was professional wrestling.

Of course, as we all know.. kids are not kind. I had to watch as numerous kids would pick on, and torment Eddie just because of his disability. As much as I would defend him, I knew I could only do so much. I'd see the look in his eyes, and it broke my heart every time. I could NEVER do that to another human being.

In this current day and age where people seemingly get judged on everything.. whether it be sexuality, or the type of music you listen too.. I know what it's like to be judged, and picked on. Trust me.. I do. Whether it was as a child, or in high school.. I was constantly ridiculed for my weight, and consistently told "A Pro Wrestler? You?! Ha! Yea, right!".. But I never gave up, and I never gave in. I vowed that I would never be THAT guy. I would never let someones words effect me so deeply that I would change my beliefs just to fit in with the "crowd". I brought my Ring of Honor hoodie with me to High School everyday back in 2002 and told anyone that asked about it that I was going to be an independent professional wrestler.. and even when they judged me.. even when they told me it was fake. I never stopped believing in myself, and my dream. (I also gave some kid a headlock takeover into a steel table once in Science class for taking my hoodie and saying wrestling was fake, but that's a story for another time..Wink )

For 25 years.. I've lived my life the way I've wanted.. by my own rules. I'm VERY proud of that, above everything. You can ask anyone that knows me.. I have very steadfast morals, and beliefs. I don't drink ( I never have), I don't smoke (I never have), and I don't do drugs (again, I never have.) among other things. That's how I live MY life. I will not judge or look down on you based on how you live yours, as it's YOUR life. We only have one, guys.. Live it however you'd like! Have dreams, be bold, work hard.. and go out and do what you love!

The moral of all of this is.. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I've gotten to do some pretty cool things thanks to the crazy world of Professional Wrestling.. and I Thank God everyday that I met Eddie. I'm not just thankful that he introduced me to my passion.. I'm thankful because of who he was, and his friendship. After 25 years, I'm far from perfect.. but just by watching how he lived his life, and seeing what he had to go through EVERYDAY.. it gave me the strength to go against the grain, be individualistic, and become the person I am sitting here today..

and for that.. I am eternally Thankful.
Back to top Go down